Wednesday 21 October 2009

homework

I pity poor Bonnie. She gave us some homework to do which was to write about significant life events which have contributed to us developing as the people we are today. I got quite carried away, and have ended up writing nearly 7000 words, or about 15 pages of A4 word processed in Arial font size 12. What I tried to do was to describe each event, reflect on what impact it had at the time and explain how it shaped the current me. Flash is not surprised at the length as he reckons that I am as gobby on paper as I am in real life ha ha! His is a mere 5000 words - not that it is a competition or anything! I have to add here that this is just what we did and is not expected at all by the sw. I think it is the academic background that makes the words pour out of us, but short lists of info are fine.

Having read each other's musings, it is interesting to note the different styles. Flash has concentrated very much on events, with a little detail about the people involved whereas I have briefly described the event and focussed much more on the people and emotions involved. I don't know whether this is a male/female thing, or whether it reflects our personalities. A couple of reminiscences regarding bereavement still have the power to bring me to tears and writing about them was very emotional. Reflecting on the breakdown of my first marriage was also interesting as I have read such a lot on theories of attachment and trauma in preparation for our adoption, that I can now see certain behaviours in a different light. I now wonder whether a lot of the issues my ex husband had with relationships (and still has to my observation) have their roots in the way his mother treated him as a child.

The other task we were set was to watch children playing. This is something that I will have to admit did not get done as I had the mother of all common colds last week which kept me in bed for 3 days and not feeling up to a trip visiting Flash's brother to observe their younger children. And of course, the weather was not great over the weekend which meant that the neighbours kids were all firmly in front of the telly rather than running around their (and our!!) garden as usual.

We had a lovely meal out with my mum and dad last night to celebrate their 47th wedding anniversary. To me they just don't look old or decrepit enough to have been married so long - mum must have been a child bride and mother lol!!

So we have our next visit from Bonnie tomorrow, the first to the house and I think we will be going through the health and safety checklist. I was debating on whether to offer cake or biscuits, but my conscience got the better of me. At our first meeting she had admitted to being a fellow weightwatcher, so at the meeting last night I bought a box of Rich Toffee bars and another of Peanut bars - only 1.5 points per bar! Was happy to have only put on a pound this week, despite all the cough sweets and comfort eating. Back on the wagon today!

Elsewhere, another good win for the Packers this week and I got 89 points for my fantasy team - the best of the season so far. It is NFL London on Sunday where I will be rooting for my second favourite team, the New England Patriots, not that I think they will have much of a problem beating Tampa Bay given current form!

I think Maggie has gone through the menopause - yes, my little ginger chicken has stopped laying and can look forward to living out her days in relaxed retirement.

1 comment:

  1. Hi some home work hay.
    I would not know where to start.
    so have started to think and i have told gander as well and he is thinking as well.
    he says that he can't really remember a lot of his childhood but is goning to try.
    Thanks for the tip.
    good luck with your home work too.#
    Good luck with weight watchers as well.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete