Friday 2 October 2009

busy bee

It is the weekend at last thank goodness. I work at a university and this last week has been induction week. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE meeting the new students and welcoming back the old ones but it is a frantic week where even a quick trip to get a coffee takes ten minutes if you are wearing your ID badge, due to all the "where do I find ..." interruptions.

Last weekend we threw a dinner party for 12 as friends of my parents are over from America. We haven't seen them since we went to Myrtle Beach 3 years ago so it was fantastic to catch up in person rather than by facebook or email. We really need to learn Skype!

Seven days from now we will officially start home study with our new social worker. Suddenly I am feeling nervous, what will she ask, will we get on with her, will she like us! The only other thing I can compare to how I am feeling is getting up the courage to get to Boots for a pregnancy testing kit. What if it is positive - will I be able to cope, what changes will it bring to my life and am I ready for them? And if negative - how will I feel, will I be able to carry on and try again? Only time will tell and I really should not get into the bad habit of predicting how the meeting will go. One of our friends should be coming to stay that weekend, so we have planned to meet her off the train after the visit, then straight to the pub for a meal, a pint and a debrief.

This coming week is also a very special one as a friend and colleague of mine has been matched with his new daughter and starts his paternity leave next Friday! It will be fantastic to watch his new family bond and of course I will be prying as much information out of him as possible regarding the adoption process as ours proceeds. I know he and his wife were particularly commended on the quality of their PAR so will be interested to find out what made it stand out.

Here's to a good weekend of painting, gardening and a new haricut!

2 comments:

  1. best of luck to your friend - exciting times :)

    the analogy you provided here is spot on! such stressful times and frustrating not knowing the answer. you will be fine. the debrief sounds like a good plan, you can then talk it all out. thats how i deal with things, saying them out loud (or typing them up) and seeing how it feels out in the open.

    hope the haircut goes well xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is going from strength to strength! Can't wait to read more. Lovely bathroom BTW!!
    Yes, the analogy you wrote is spot on. I had to do a PT once so I know exactly what you are talking about!!
    Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete