Tuesday 13 October 2009

another hurdle successfully cleared

Today is a day I have been putting off and dreading for a couple of weeks. I work in a predominantly female environment, but with a male boss. Out of a staff of 23 (of which 4 are men) we have 3 on maternity leave, one due to go off in a months time, one just starting 3 weeks paternity leave for adoption and one literally just back from maternity leave. We have also had redundancies, staff leaving and not being replaced and so working up the courage to tell my boss about our adoption plans has been something I have not looked forward to. Anyway, I have just come back from meeting with him and he seemed genuinely pleased at our news. All that stress for nothing!! It seems silly, but I really feel that I can throw my heart and soul into the preparation work without feeling guilty for being yet another person to abandon the team. I tried to talk to him about time off for meetings and prep course and he was very laid back and said, whatever, so long as we know. This is such a different response to what I know other adopters have had (not with him, with their own managers elsewhere in the uk!!!), and it gives me confidence that I will be well supported throughout the approval process.

I have now ordered a couple of books from Amazon regarding attachment and parenting and will be going to the library later this week to get out a couple more - one of the benefits of being on the staff at a university is that you get to keep your book loans for about 8 months unless someone else requests them!

I have a really bad cold at the moment, passed on by my mum and dad who have just returned from visiting family in Ireland so will be going home early to get wrapped in a duvet and sip a lempsip or hot toddy, whichever feels most beneficial. I know which is better for me physically, but mentally the hot toddy might just nose ahead!!

No comments:

Post a Comment